Saturday, May 2, 2009

Friday Night Out - Borrellos

BORRELLO'S - Vicksburg, Mississippi






Typically, Carolyn and I head to a restaurant after she gets off work on Fridays. Soooo, my Friday night section is now reserved for visits to eateries that impress me. The restaurant of this week is an Italian place in Vicksburg, Mississippi by the name of Borrello's. The restaurant is located in the historic downtown section on Washington Street. The streets in this section of town are paved with bricks. There are wide sidewalks and shops up and down the street (kind of like some of the shops in Eureka Springs). It is a beautiful old area that has been well preserved well by the building owners and the City of Vicksburg.



Borrello's has two separate dining areas, a bar, and a lounge upstairs. Although the inside doesn't particularly remind you of being in Italy, the food and service do. We ate in the main dining area. Being the predictable person that I am, I had the Spaghetti and Meatballs. Carolyn had the Chicken Parmesan, and Kori ate Shrimp and Scallops on Pasta with a buttery garlic sauce and mushrooms. The food was out of this world. The scallops and shrimp that Kori was served were the biggest I had ever seen and tasted awesome. I tried a little of Carolyn's chicken parmesan, but I'm not much of one for any parmesan items. Our waiter was very efficient and friendly and was helpful in answering questions about the history of the restaurant and the building it was located in. The building was once a large home/boarding house and was built not long after the Civil War. It was later turned into a Printers Office with the presses located in the upstairs section. The inside walls of the building were decorated in a lot of civil war memorabelia (but then most buildings in this area are).

On the other side of the building is the bar with the stairs leading up to the lounge and the outside eating area. The only problem that I had with this area was the Mississippi State and LSU items around the room (I can't figure out why nothing from Arkansas). Of course being the good Hog fan that I am, I pointed this out to our waiter with a laugh.



As with any area you might go to, there are good and bad places to eat. If you ever get to the Vicksburg area, you might want to give this one a try - - Good stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Oh what I wouldn't give for one of those scallops right this very minute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is it? Where is your King badge? I don't see it!

    ReplyDelete